Thursday, February 10, 2011

Belgian waffles and the Jersey Shore

The heat from the waffle iron is so strong you can smell it throughout the house. It is my cue for pouring the banana-nut batter hot into its sizzling heat. As I drop every ladle of batter into the iron my mind fogs with memories from winters long ago.
I am transported to Long Beach Island in New Jersey, a strip of beach towns that is the epicenter of Jersey Shore living during hot summer days. LBI, as it is known to locals, is formed of little beach towns that have amazing restaurants.
Ironically, winter was my favorite time to enjoy an escape to LBI when I lived in New Jersey. Cold days assured no crowds, no traffic and a lot of privacy.
Winter days offered the perfect contrast to the warm coffee sold at Uncle Will’s Pancake House. Located in the little town of Beach Haven, the restaurant offers the best breakfast in town.
Huge Belgian waffles topped with a mountain of whipped cream arrive at your table as your eyes try to adjust to the size of your breakfast. I found it nearly impossible to finish any waffle I ever ordered.
If you are ever in town, make sure you stop at Uncle Will’s Pancake House. You are guaranteed a filling breakfast and a great cup of coffee.



No comments:

Post a Comment